While a 401(k) or 403(b) plan has long been the primary retirement planning vehicle in benefits programs offered by most independent schools, the way in which private educational institutions approach the administration of such plans has varied widely. In the last few years, new regulatory initiatives by the Department of Labor, as well as a sharp spike in litigation against plan sponsors and third party record keepers, have underlined the importance of addressing plan administration in a proactive and comprehensive way.
To aid your institution in the proper administration of 401(k) or 403(b) plans, Shipman & Goodwin’s Pension and Employee Benefits group offers this complimentary webinar. We invite you to join attorneys Ira Goldman, Richard Cohen and Kelly Smith Hathorn as they provide valuable insight to help your institution minimize its risk.
Attendees will learn:
- The importance of maintaining access to current 401(k) and 403(b) plan documents, including those prepared by a third party administrator.
- Understanding the two different roles of the employer: plan administrator and plan sponsor.
- Operating the plan in compliance with applicable law and in accordance with the plan documents.
- Understanding plan administrator duties, including whether they include choosing investment options.
- Periodic meetings and what should happen at them: review of investment performance and expense ratios; reasonableness of fees to third parties; default investment options; managed investment accounts; stable value options; brokerage window options; data security.
- Understanding the role of an independent fiduciary and deciding if you want one.
- Impact of the Department of Labor’s 2017 fiduciary rules on the plan administrator.