Please join us for our annual spring seminar for public sector clients and friends, when we will address issues facing school districts, municipalities and other governmental agencies.
The program begins with a plenary session covering general issues in the workplace, followed by breakout sessions allowing a choice from several topics of great interest and issue discussion in a small group setting.
DEVIL’S IN THE DETAILS: The Intersection of the New Paid Sick Leave Law, ADA, FMLA and More
- Basics of the new Paid Sick Leave Law and how to implement it.
- How Paid Sick Leave, FMLA and even Workers’ Compensation absences run concurrently.
- How the ADA can impact an employee’s absence when Paid Sick Leave and FMLA are exhausted.
- What supervisors need to know about these laws.
GENDER IDENTITY AND EXPRESSION IN THE WORKPLACE: A Practical Guide
- Scope of the law.
- Definition of terms used.
- Changes made by the law.
- Scenarios employers are likely to experience.
Breakout Session Topics:
BEST PRACTICES IN HIRING: Balancing Intrusion and Diligence
- A refresher on some of the basics, such as valid job qualifications and job application questions.
- Hot topics such as consideration of prolonged unemployment and criminal records.
- Use of technology to research candidates.
NEW RULES, NEW OBLIGATIONS: Investigating and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect
- Who is now legally obligated to report suspected abuse or neglect?
- What new legal requirements will mean for your organization.
- When your organization must report suspected abuse or neglect.
- How to avoid common pitfalls when investigating suspected abuse and neglect.
SOCIAL NETWORKING: How It Can Help and Hurt You
- First Amendment implications.
- Regulation of employee and student use of social networking.
- Proper investigation of misconduct online.
- Best practices for use and regulation of social networking.
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING: Let’s Make A Deal
- Is the economy really improving, and will the legislature really take action to reform public sector collective bargaining laws?
- Implications for public sector employers in the midst of bargaining or binding arbitration.
- Annual update regarding wages and employee benefits trends.
- Strategies for approaching negotiations and preparing for interest arbitration.